Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Never forget...

Sorry I didn't get around to posting yesterday.  I'm sure you're all losing sleep over it.


So today is 9/11 and I truly will never forget what happened on this day 9 years ago.  Wow, it's been 9 years.

I was just a baby, newly out of college, kind of thinking the world was my oyster.  I was living at home and looking for a job.  My daily routine consisted of rolling out of bed somewhere around 11, and then starting my day.

On 9/11 I woke up ready to watch the Price is Right.  Only when I turned on the TV to watch I found something very different.  Having just woken up, it took me some time to piece together what in the world was going on.  And when it happened, I realized the world would never really be as we had previously known it.

I started bawling (which now isn't much of an oddity for me, but back then it was).  I frantically tried calling my dad who worked in NYC.  Even though he was in midtown and far from the towers I needed to know he was OK.  He was.

I lived about 45 minutes outside of the city but that day as I was driving somewhere I could see the smoke on the western horizon.  I went out and took a picture but somehow managed to misplace that photo over the years, however I assure you it still exists in my head.

I think I had a dentist appointment either that day or the next day and I started crying in the chair, and somehow that was OK.  I think everyone had been crying a little more than usual.

While I was lucky to not lose anyone close to me, I know of many many people who did.  Growing up on Long Island, it was very common for people to work in NYC.   It was a time of such sadness.

Red, white, and blue themed things started popping up on cars/windows/houses and I remember feeling proud about the sense of unity that came out of such a disaster.  I was so proud to be a New Yorker.

On this day (and every day really), I will remember what happened and honor those who tried to help and those who lost their lives.

Please do the same. Tell your loved ones that you love them (and then enjoy your weekend).

No comments: