Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I stink...

at racquetball. 

Suck is probably a more accurate description, stink sounds only minor-ly bad.

Racquetball finally happened and if nothing else, it was entertaining.  I looked super cool in my goggles.

Let me just say that I have a background in tennis.  While I was never any good, I played for years and the rules are ingrained in my brain.  Well, besides being a racquet sport, racquetball is nothing like tennis.

Where do I even start?
You can use all the walls in the court.  Never in tennis did you have to worry about spinning around because a ball could be coming from behind you.
You have no "territory".  When you play doubles, you share the work, if one person is near the ball, they usually hit it.  Here you're running all over and it doesn't matter if your opponent is standing in your way, you still need to get there.
I have a traditional two handed backhand and was completely ridiculed for that.
Plus I asked if it was an overhand serve.  More laughter.

I spent most of the game either serving (because I'm OK at that) or running around chasing the ball (notice I said chasing, not hitting).

Plus, I got hit in the head.

I may be down, but I'm not out.  Stay tuned as I train to make my way to the Olympics.

No comments: