Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Really?

This place makes me laugh.  As I've said before, they seriously have not picked up on the whole "being healthy is good" school of thought.

To prove this point...here are some examples of what I've eaten the past two days, and the reactions I've received.

Dinner Monday:  we went for Italian.  This town loves fried food and cheese.  Pretty much every appetizer was fried.  There was a salad course but it was a pretty boring salad.  I ordered a grilled portabella mushroom parmigiana, sounded good.  While it was OK, it was drenched in cheese.  I asked if the snap pea side dish could be steamed and it was like I asked the strangest question ever.
Lunch Tuesday:  they brought in sandwiches, when I asked if we could have mayo on the side, they looked at me like I was nuts.  Lunch came with a bag of chips.  I didn't want to eat a bag of chips but if I didn't, I would have been starving instead.
Dinner Tuesday:  I've never been so excited to go to Ruby Tuesday's in my life.  Two words:  salad bar.  Hooray for fresh vegetables.  I rolled with the veggie trio, which is 3 side dishes with the salad bar.  I had spaghetti squash, grilled zucchini, and mashed cauliflower.  Yum.  They also had some seriously delicious sangria.
Lunch Wednesday:  All day meetings, so again it was delivery.  The plan was Italian subs.  I don't eat most of the meats on a sub so I got a grilled chicken salad.  The fact that I didn't eat an Italian sub had people rolling their eyes (really??).  The salad consisted of iceberg lettuce, some chopped tomatoes, cubes of grilled chicken, and of course cheddar cheese.  The salad was a little small so I was excited that it came with bread.  Of course not just any bread, buttered garlic bread.  And again, even though it's the last thing I'd choose to eat, I ate it because I still had hours of meetings ahead of me and had no choice.

It seriously boggles my mind that people live this way.  I don't mean to sound snobby, but in CT I'm not considered a freak for my eating habits.  Here I am.

No comments: