Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Spin wit me


That's so me!  I love working out in leotards.

After two years of teaching only 45 minute spin classes, it's been a little involved to transition to a 60 minute class.  Or rather, it's been involved to transition my music to 60 minutes.

Don Juan said "just add three more songs in and you're done".  Yes.  In theory it is that simple.  In actuality, it's way more involved since my rides already flow.  Messing with a flow can get messy.

Last Wednesday (I think) I spent several hours putting together a new 60 minute ride that built on an existing ride.  Then for my Saturday class I knocked out a few songs and took it back to a 45.  I'm going to post the 60 but call out which songs I took out for the 45.

I called this a greatest hits ride as it pulled a few elements from past rides, including the lovely Hill Repeats from Annette.

So here we go....

Who Dat Girl - Flo Rida featuring Akon - 3:20
Warm up

Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N' Roses - 5:56
First set of hill repeats.  Climb for 5 minutes, then flat road/downhill for the final 0:56.  I usually do 2 minutes in the saddle, 1 in standing 2, and the final 2 in 3.  I also play around with when I add resistance making sure not to go past an 8/10.  (wow, lots of numbers in this description)

Dance Dance - Fallout Boys - 3:00
Same hill as the last song, but pick up the pace and ride it in 3 minutes.  Same movements and resistance, just faster legs.

Crazy - Gnarles Barkley - 2:59 (omit from 45 minute version)
Let's recover a bit.  Once you start to feel ready, pick up the pace and add a small amount of resistance.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson - 6:02 (omit from 45 minute version)
Hill repeat #2.  Once again, climb for 5 and then flat/downhill for the final minute.  For this one I started with a 5/10, got it up to an 8/10 mid way, stayed there for a minute, and then progressed back down to 7, 6, 5.  This way they had no excuse to not pick up the pace on the 3 minute version.

Amazing - Seal - 3:02 (omit from 45 minute version)
And again, mimic the last hill but with more speed.

Animal - Neon Trees - 3:32
Short recovery right in to sprints.  if you're not ready, sit out the first one and join in when you are.  Sprints on the chorus, there are 3 of them.

Float On - Modest Mouse - 3:30
Time to jump!  We're jumping for the next two songs. Take up to a minute to get them ready, load up to a 5/10 moderate hill and then get started.  I mix it up between 8, 6, and 4 counts to keep things interesting.

Gettin' Over You - David Guetta - 3:06
Continue with the jumps.

City of Blinding Lights - U2 - 5:50
Last hill repeat.  Climb for 5, downhill/recover for :50.  I was doing this climb in the saddle, adding resistance every minute or so.

Magic - B.o.B. featuring Rivers Cuomo - 3:16
Repeat the hill above, staying in the saddle.  However for the final minute I do encourage them to get out of the saddle to really pick up the pace.

oops, don't have the song title - The Jackson 5 - 3:06 (omit from 45 minute version)
Recover.  Again, start to pick up the pace as you feel ready.

Bring Back the Funk - Krafty Kuts - 3:14
Final hill (it's not a hill repeat).  Climbing in the saddle, nice pace, 5/10, add every minute or so ending around a 7/10.

Moves Like Lady Jagger - Maroon 5 and Christina vs Modjo - 4:44
Let's finish this hill.  Transition to a standing climb.  I pick up the pace on the chorus and then have them jump (4 count) on the Lady verses.  Feel free to improvise but just end heavy and fast.  :)

For some reason, the hill repeats kill me.  Then again, every ride has been kicking my butt lately.  But this one does a great job of really bringing my heart rate way up.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Annette said...

I love that you still use those 5 & 3 hill repeats. (Me too!)

Great playlist. I love that Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5 song. I heard it on The Voice last week and immediately started loading it into my playlists. :-) It's just so catchy.

I find it interesting that you are used to teaching 45 minute classes because I've never taught one. I only teach 60 minute, 90 minute or CyclePlus which is 30 min Cycle followed by 30 minutes of core/strength.

Jessica said...

Those repeats are killer!

I also heard Moves Like Jagger on the Voice. (Go Javier!) When I searched for it I found this remix and since I also like the song Lady, I went with it.

NYSC does a 45 minute class unless it's Super Spin, which is 60. I've done back to back classes which is 1.5 hours, but it's still a little different. And LA has hour long classes except for a few which are 45.

I guess it just depends on the club. :)