Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

What a weekend!

The good stuff first...

Saturday was my first ever 5K!  As you saw, I had training plans and everything, only to get derailed with a medical issue and first time homeowner stresses.  Going in to the run, I had gone on one 3.28 mile run in the past several months.

The good news...I finished it without a problem!  Since it was a fun run, the timing wasn't exact, but I finished somewhere around 30-32 minutes which I'm happy with.  I did it with my friend C and we were able to chat for most of it, which showed me that I wasn't pushing too hard.  I actually felt so good during the last mile that I think I probably could have run it again.  Woo hoo!!

As my first "race" experience, it was quite interesting.  I loved seeing other people run (their forms, what they were wearing).  I loved having people pass me, but then passing others.  It was fun to say "OK, we're going to pass that lady in the blue" and then work towards doing it.  What was a bit challenging was the fact that both the runners and the walkers started at the same time, so there was quite a bit of weaving involved.

Plus since it was at the Bronx zoo to benefit the penguins, I loved seeing the penguin costumes, themed shirts, hats, etc.  It was great!  Then I spent the day at the zoo with my family and a few friends.  It was a perfect Saturday.

Taking just a moment to reflect, the fact that I completed a 5K is pretty significant.  I was a girl who was never able to run.  I think I've shared this before, but prior to 2006 or so, I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile.  Last Saturday I told my class that I'd be subbing it out for the 5K, I told them that I was nervous because I haven't had the time to train.  So many of them said something along the lines of "don't worry, you'll be fine, you're in great shape".  Which really meant so much to me knowing where I've come from.  Plus their faith in me meant alot too!

So back to the weekend... on both sides of Saturday, the rest of the weekend was STRESSFUL!  Friday was moving day (not fun!), then Saturday afternoon was more moving/cleaning, and then Sunday was some unpacking.  I'm nowhere near done but at least everything is finally at the new place.  Sadly I'm not living there yet because I only have a half bath and the place is full of contruction dust.  yuck!  Hopefully I'll be in by next week.  In a nutshell, I think it's safe to say that I've been stressed since March 18th when I closed on the condo.

No comments: