Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Spin things - 2 cents needed

Of course anyone can read this post but I have a few questions for a few of my fellow spin instructors.  I'd love your input.  If you take spin classes and have any thoughts, I'd love to hear those too.

My certification is up August 1st so I've spent a bunch of time recently taking CE courses.

While taking this last course (which I believe had to do with profile types), it mentioned that the body works harder when in the saddle then when out at 3.  This makes perfect sense since you have your body weight to help when you're out of the saddle.

Since reading that, I've shared it with my classes and tried to shift some of my standing climbs to seated climbs.  Thing is, I know it's not the most exciting position, so I'm cautious about spending too much time in the saddle.  I tend to think that the "i spin because it's fun and I sweat alot" people want the variety, but those who are more serious about fitness understand the benefit and are OK with less moving around.  I'm hoping that by telling them all that they can work harder in the saddle that they'll understand an embrace it.

As an instructor, do you feel a similar pressure to keep them moving?  Have you spent more time in the saddle, and if so, how have you handled the class and their possible desire to be in 3 instead?

Next....
Do any of you teach on the Keiser bikes?  Is anyone Keiser certified?  If so, is there a hand position 1?  I personally find these bikes to be much more challenging than the Spinning NXTs.  Anyone else?
Also, what does Keiser say about pedaling backwards?  I only ask this because I've seen way more people pedaling backward post-class than I did elsewhere.  Perhaps one of the instructors encourages this, I don't know.  What do you tell people who peddle backwards?

OK, I think i've asked enough questions, so thank you in advance!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

I have a hard time convincing my participants of the benefits of riding in the saddle. Many of them will just do what they want and turn it in to a standing climb anyway, which drives me INSANE!!! I tell them it builds character, and lately it's been my goal to get them to spend more time in seated climbs. I think we need to teach them how to work hard when in the saddle though,really staying focused on proper form, breathing and pedal stroke, because some of them are so used to using time in the saddle as 'recovery'. Keep on trying to convince them though, I think I'm turning them around...slowly!

Jessica said...

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Let's start a movement and get shirts that say "Keep it in the saddle". :)

Hope camping was great!