Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Designer hips

Strike a pose!
I am in desperate need of a dress for this weekend.  I didn't order any of the Rent the Runway choices because I was very nervous about fit.  I hit up a few stores a few weeks ago and then came home and tried on every dress I had.  For the wedding last week I wore the silver Phoebe Couture dress that I wore to my friend Jamie's wedding.  I also planned to wear it this weekend.  Turns out, I don't really like it, and thanks to the boning, it's really uncomfortable.

So back to the drawing board.

Yesterday I went to Annie Sez (kind of like TJ Maxx if you don't know them).  I tried on 5 dresses.  Either they were too short or they were just unflattering/ugly.

Today I went to Roundabout which is a designer/couture used/new store.  There I probably tried on 6-7 dresses.  It was in that dressing room that I learned that I do NOT have designer hips.  Or rather, the people designers design for don't have hips.  Plus, their goal definitely isn't to flatter the waif-like models.  It was interesting.  Either things fit and were quite unflattering or they fit on top but not on the bottom.  darn hips!

So back to the drawing board I go.  I may try Lord & Taylor tonight although I dislike that store and it's probably going to be too expensive anyway.

Moving on....

Last night I actually made it to the gym as planned, woo hoo!  I took a body sculpting type class, which was OK.  I'd take it again, I just didn't love it.  It was very leg heavy and personally I prefer to work on my upper body, but perhaps I'm in the minority.  Plus I didn't think the instructor had the best form, but that's definitely something I'm overly critical of.  But really, it was fine, I'm sore today.  Mission accomplished.

After the class I decided to do a quick mile on the treadmill.  Seeing as this gym was pretty crowded, I hopped on one of the only available machines and when the belt started going it felt like there was sand under it.  In other words, it wasn't smooth.  So I took the only other open treadmill.  It felt better so I turned up my music and got going.

The machine was at 6.0, so nothing crazy.  I'm running along doing my thing but noticing that people are looking at me.  Odd.  I keep going.  I come to a break in a song and I hear this horrible, loud sound and realize that it's my treadmill.  Still with my music on, I say to the guy next to me "this treadmill is pretty loud, eh".  Thing is, my music was still on so I YELLED that at him.  Song ended and I was able to speak normally.  But at this point I didn't want to stop, so I kept going with the horribly loud treadmill.  I was totally that girl.

So there we go. Time to get back to work!

No comments: