Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Golden arches

This morning I went to McDonald's for breakfast.  I usually bring dry cereal with apple sauce (since I don't drink milk solo).  In an unfortunate accident, the apple sauce jar crashed to the ground and shattered on Saturday.  I taught at 6a and needed food so Mickey D's was just fine in a pinch.

The fruit and brown sugar oatmeal is good in a situation like this.  With 290 calories it's a filling breakfast that isn't too bad for you.

I would normally do the drive through, but this location doesn't have one, so in I went.  I couldn't believe how crowded it was.  While I was waiting, I was listening to what people were ordering, nothing too crazy.  This one woman comes up to the counter.  She's overweight.  Not overweight as in a few extra pounds but overweight as in her health could be at risk.  She ordered the big breakfast.  That's fine, no judgement here, but I was curious about the big breakfast so I took a look at the McD's website.

First, there are a bunch of versions you can get.  I heard hotcakes mentioned, so I looked at that one.  Big Breakfast with Hotcakes (Regular Size Biscuit) (did you even know biscuits came in different sizes?), 1090 calories, 56 grams of fat.  Yup, almost an entire day in one meal. Wowsers.

Maybe this is the marketer in me, but if it's that bad for you, don't call it the Big Breakfast, that's just too obvious.  Give it a "prettier" name.  Unethical, maybe, but then at least people can play dumb and say they didn't realize that it was that bad for you.

I've said this before and I will surely say it again down the line, read a nutrition facts brochure for your favorite chain restaurant, it's VERY eye opening.

So now I was curious as to what the WORST offender was on the menu....

The good news is, it's not a sandwich or fries...it's the 32 oz chocolate triple thick shake which clocks in at 1160 calories, 27g fat, and  128g sugar.  (That's over 25 teaspoons!)

I have a huge sweet tooth but reading something like that turns my stomach.

On that note, who wants a snack?  Ha ha ha.

No comments: