Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Banana Bread Revisited

I posted this recipe a while back, but when I made it last night I made it a bit healthier, so I figured I'd post this version as well.

I wasn't sure how it would come out, but it is quite tasty, and maybe even a little sweet.

Banana Bread (old version of ingredients in parenthesis for reference)


1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (Old:1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup unbleached white flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/4 cup each of white sugar and brown sugar for a total of 1/2 cup (Old: 1 cup sugar (I used a bit under 1/2 cup splenda and a bit under 1/2 cup sugar))
3 mashed bananas (Old: 1 cup mashed banana)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (Old: 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
In a mixing bowl beat together egg whites, sugar and banana. Add oil and mix well.
Add dry ingredients and mix. Fold in raisins.
Coat a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer batter to pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes (Old: 55-60 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

No comments: