Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog-o-sphere blowout

Of course I couldn't not mention the healthy living blogging article in the most recent issue of Marie Claire (a magazine I actually really dislike).

Just looked to see if it was on the Marie Claire website, but it's not.  Not that I'm surprised.

It's generating a ton of hullabaloo in the blog world.  My thoughts on it later today.  Stay tuned.

Edited later in the day...

The gist of the article was that there are a "Big Six" of the healthy living blog world.  These six put together the Healthy Living Summit which was in Chicago this past summer.  That's all well and good.  The article proposes that these "healthy" blogs are in fact not so healthy.  The article claims that constant analysis and sharing of food and exercise is leading to eating disorders and body issues.  MC sites examples of severe calorie restriction and over training.  One blogger apparently ran a 5K, 10K, and a marathon all in one weekend.

Before I even knew that this topic had blown up in the blog world, the article struck a chord with me.  However to me the article was in some ways spot on.  I know that blogs have helped many people find healthier habits, shape up, or lose weight and I recognize that blogs are communities and in many cases very helpful.

Personally though, I have found many "healthy living" blogs to have an unintentional (or not) holier than thou attitude.  I feel like some bloggers are almost bragging about how ridiculously healthy they are and how they're cooler because they ran a million miles and consumed two calories.  This is not healthy.

Part of what I hate about being in the fitness industry is the competitive factor.  I can of course be competitive, but in this area, I don't want to be.  I don't want anyone to think I'm better than they are because I can do a push up, or that they're superior to me because I can't.  Fitness and health are specific to each individual.  And yes, there are general rules and concepts, but what works for one isn't necessarily the right choice for another.

My blog is small.  I don't have many readers but I am constantly making a conscientious effort to assure that the information I provide is helpful and NEVER makes anyone who is reading feel like I think I'm better than they are, because that is not the case.  If for some reason I ever make you feel less than great, I encourage you to call me out on it and I'll do everything in my power to rectify the situation.

If you have some spare time, I'm sure a google search on the MC article will yield some interesting results.  And now, I'll shut up.  :)

PS - Sometimes I feel like my corporate background shows through in the words I use (i.e. rectify).  I'm such a nerd!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

YES! I was trying to figure out what i was trying ot say when i posted my response but as a newish healthy living blogger, there's definitely a holier than thou attitude out there with people who run X miles/day/week and who share every morsel they put in their mouths.

I've been blogging for a while, and it's not just around the Healthy living blogging community but the blogging community in general. Bigger "more popular" blogs definitely get a holier than thou attitude even if it's not intentional. Despite that, i do still find a lot of those blogs inspiring and helpful re: recipes, workouts, etc...

adore your blog though (recently came across it randomly!) :D

Jessica said...

Hey Heidi!

Just finished spending some QT on your blog, love it! Plus, it seems that we're Fairfield county neighbors. How cool!

I agree, I too have found many blogs to be helpful. I love trying recipes and knowing that someone has already made them and succeeded. But I do sometimes find that a recipe lives on a blog that I don't get the best feeling from.

I don't want to read anything that makes me feel badly or doubt myself, so I just keep that in mind as I discover new blogs, and for the most part, it really hasn't been too much of an issue.

Hope you're having a great day!