Foods to eat, guilt free
- Lean protein
- Fiber - not always easy to eat enough so look for high fiber breakfast cereal (at least 5g/serving)
- Iron rich foods - many women of childbearing age are iron deficient. If you're a veg and getting your iron from non-meat sources, you can absorb the mineral only if you eat it with vitamin C (just an FYI)
- Wild Alaskan salmon - can you say Omega 3's?
- Eggs (not just the whites) - both the whites and the yolks have health benefits (try for six a week)
- Learn how to eyeball portions - as Americans, our idea of what a portion is is completely out of whack
- Processed and refined carbs
- Hot dogs, bologna, sausage - fat and salt bombs plus nitrates!
- Artificial sweeteners - studies are showing that use of artificial sweeteners makes you crave more food (as I just put a little Splenda in my tea)
- "Fortified" junk food - don't be fooled by nutritional claims on the packaging
- Booze - try to limit yourself to one drink a day
Source: Women's Health Magazine http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/best-tips/pdf/76TipsForBody.pdf