Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Greetings and salutations

Anyone know what movie that is from?  Here's a hint, Christian Slater said it.  Remember the days when he was a hunk?  The days of Teen Beat?  Excuse me while I reminisce.

OK, I'm back.

I hope you had great weekends!  It still amazes me that the weekends go by so quickly and I never seem to feel well rested once their over.  Why is that?

Saturday night I got an emergency email from a spin instructor with an ill father.  He needed coverage for his 9:30a super (60 minute) spin class, so I obliged.

This class was at a location I used to teach at.  I haven't taught there since November, so it's been a while.  I knew he had a loyal following, and those folks are never too happy to see someone else in the front of the room.  It was weird, I had that nervous feeling in my stomach, although that could have also been too much caffeine and not enough water, but I digress.

I did feel a bit like a piece of meat being dangled in front of a lion standing at the front of the class.  Thankfully I did have a few familiar faces in the room.  One woman asked the woman next to her if this was one of those classes where she'd end up walking out.  Ouch.  Thankfully I knew the person she asked and she said no. (Post class, the question asker did say it was great, small ego boost.)

Why am I sharing this?  Because it never ceases to amaze me how difficult it can be to come in and sub someones class.  Most people are creatures of habit and when they see something (someone) different, they don't always embrace the change.  If you've taken the instructors class, then you're at an advantage in that you know what they're used to, but walking in blind is hard.

However, I do think it's really important to put yourself out on that limb on occasion.  It makes you a better instructor and hopefully re-instills your confidence that you are in fact a great instructor.

There's my two cents...

Did I mention that I picked up a new class?  So that's 3 classes and a full time job.  I think I'm good.

I taught Saturday, subbed Sunday, and then taught my usual class this morning.  I was suffering.  God only knows when I last did three consecutive days.

Well, I'm off to work.  Be well!

No comments: