Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

A new year?



Historically, every year I get together with friends (or family) and celebrate new year's eve.  And every year, we raise our glasses and say that this year is going to be great!  2011 is going to be the best year yet, or something to that effect.

Well you know what?  That isn't always true.

Plus, in terms of our lives, what is the significance of the new year and January 1st?  My birthday is in August, so January 1st doesn't really mark a new year for me, it's more of a celebration 4+ months in to my year.  How is that significant?

So last year, or the year before, I stopped going by the calendar year and instead started going by my years.  After this past birthday, I said, good things are going to happen this year.  And you know what, they did.

But why not think good thoughts and request good things on a day unique to you, not the day that EVERYONE uses as their chance to wipe the slate clean and start over?  If there are forces up there helping out, don't you think the might be a bit overwhelmed on January 1st?

Show of hands, who now thinks I'm insane?  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I don't make New Year resolutions. If you want to change something about yourself or your habits, why not start this minute? Why wait until tomorrow, or Monday, January 1st? I've never really understood it. So, to answer your question, no, you are not insane. At least I don't think you are!

Jessica said...

Thanks Chris!

You are so right, if you want to make a change, do it when it comes to you. Screw resolutions! :)

Although i'm definitely guilty of saying i'll eat better on Monday. Oops.

Have a happy few days/months/years!