Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Lovin' this egg mcmuffin!!

Lots of food posts lately, but I guess that's sort of OK since I added "Eater" to the title of the blog. :)

Newest breakfast (lunch, or dinner) discovery, the ability to microwave eggs!  The "friend" gets credit for this one.  He's always trying to minimize the mess of cooking bc he knows that I'm horrible at cleaning.

Enter our own version of the egg mcmuffin!!

Throw an English muffin in the toaster.

At the same time, spray a microwave safe small bowl with cooking spray.  Crack two eggs in to the bowl and beat.  Throw in the micro for about 1 minute.  The egg will grow, so watch it to make sure it doesn't get too crazy.  Flip it in the bowl and do the same for another 30s-1 min.

On a plate, heat up some low fat Canadian bacon, maybe 15 seconds.  We usually use 1 or 2 pieces (only 20 calories/slice).

By now the muffin should be toasted, so take it out of the oven, layer the Canadian bacon on.  Either put down a piece of sliced cheese or throw some shredded cheese on to the egg and throw it back in the micro for another 20 seconds.  Then put the egg on to the muffin, throw the top on and voila!!

As basic as it sounds, I go nuts for this thing and actually CRAVE it.  Historically I've made eggs a part of my meal repertoire because they're good for you and high in protein and relatively low in calories (I have no cholesterol issues so I've been told I can have 5-6 eggs/week), but this makes me actually want to eat them.

Estimated calorie count:
muffin (100)
2 eggs (140)
Canadian bacon, 2 slices (40)
shredded cheese, 1/4 cup (80)
Grand total: 360

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I've made a homemade egg mcmuffin before too. They are always better than the original.

Jessica said...

Plus i would imagine the sodium content is much lower.

You just reminded me how overdue I am for a spin ride post. How do you stay so on top of things?