Search This Blog

Friday, December 10, 2010

the white devil

Imagine you wake up in the middle of the night insanely nauseaus.  You head to the bathroom only to get that feeling of "should I sit on the toilet or face it?".

What's the first thought that enters your mind?  Food poisoning would be mine.  Very little has woken me up from a sound sleep other than food poisoning or a very bad stomach flu.

That said, what causes these symptoms for me?  Garlic.

The bulb that almost everyone LOVES.  The ingredient that is so common it isn't always listed on menus.

Well my friends, that little white bulb is my arch enemy.

I always knew that garlic bothered my stomach.  A little.  However, as I've gotten older, this has apparently gotten worse.  Only within the past year or so did I realize that if I ate too much garlic, I'd wake up with the same symptoms as food poisoning.  Thankfully I wouldn't actually get sick, but I would very much feel sick.

Let me tell you how annoying this is.  Eating out has become a pain because everything I order must be followed up with "no garlic", to which I usually get weird looks.

But, it is what it is, and those who love me (and cook for me) have learned to make the concession.

Any other odd food problems out there?

No comments: