Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spur of the moment baking

I will always remember that years ago, a friend of mine came over to my apartment.  She was hungry so she was opening the fridge and the cabinets, after which she said "interesting that you have no food to eat, yet have all the ingredients to whip up baked goods from scratch".  That pretty much sums up my kitchen.   Lots of raw form baked good ingredients yet no actual snackable food.

Last night I decided to whip something up.  After craving something sweet, and of course not having anything, I figured I'd just bake something.  Only caveat, no butter.  Normally I have butter, but not last night.  My original plan was my raspberry squares, but do to the lack of butter, it was a no go.

Enter google. Here's what resulted, yum!

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp allspice (I used cinnamon and probably could have used more than the 1/4 tsp)
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup quick-cook oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cups milk (I used Almond Milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 375. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or use paper liners.


In large bowl, whisk together flour, both sugars, baking powder, allspice and salt. Stir in oatmeal, raisins and nuts. In medium-size bowl, lightly beat egg. Stir in oil, milk and vanilla to combine; stir gently into flour mixture; do not over mix.

Fill muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until golden on top. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Having never made this recipe before, I chose to keep the oil in.  I usually play around with swapping ingredients once I've had the recipe.  The exception here was that I didn't have allspice or milk, so I had to use the cinnamon and almond milk.

They tasted delicious last night, warm.  Am going to try another right now and I'm sure it will be just as tasty.

I love it when recipes come out well!

No comments: