Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Spin Ride - Waterfall


Happy Tuesday!

Today I thought i'd share my Waterfall ride with you.  As I've mentioned before, this ride is based upon an actual bike ride that I took in Costa Rica.  It has a lot of consistent climbing with an occasional break.  I don't plan out every minute/second, so my ride description may be a bit more vague, but I will give you an idea of what I usually do.



This is a picture of me at the top of the long climb up, looking sweaty and as unphotogenic as possible, but I was so happy to have made it to the top.



This is what we were riding towards.  Of course, in order to be able to see the waterfall up close, we then had to climb down about 400+ steps, which meant once we were done playing in the water we had to climb back up those same steps to get to our bikes.  Quite the leg work out!

Enough of the background information, here's the ride.

Jessica Costa Rica Waterfall Ride

Bootylicious - Destiny's Child - 3:27
Warm up, mix it up, get the blood flowing, heart rate up a bit.

Tamacun - Rodrigo y Gabriel - 3:26
Fast flat, this is the easy part of the ride.  We're excited to be on the bike, quick pace, low resistance.  Riding on local, paved roads.  Adding a little resistance on towards the end of the song.

Floor on Fire - Lil' Jon featuring Pitbull - 4:18
Jumps, either 6 or 4 counts, or a mix of the two.  We hit some really uneven terrain here, the road wasn't paved and there were lots of holes, bumps, and mud.  I try to do almost the whole song with the jumps.

Foreplay - Boston - 7:47
Oye Como Va - Carlos Santana - 4:18
The Look - Roxette - 3:57
Climbing.  Foreplay is a nice long song, perfect for the start of the climb. The next few songs are all climbing, I instruct the class to start at about a 5/10 (moderate hill) and tell them that that is as light as we'll go.
I vary the resistance with 1 minute of heavy climbing mixed in every now and then.  The terrain was a consistent climb, with the incline varying, but always climbing.  Mix up in the saddle and out.

Sun is Shining - Bob Marley vs. Funkstar - 3:54
Quick flat.  It was cloudy most of the trip, but the sun just came out, we're happy to be on a flat and so we're picking up our pace and flying.  Start to add resistance towards the end.

Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy - (artist unknown) - 3:25
I Like It - Enrique Iglesias featuring Pitbull - 3:52
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand - 3:57
Back to the climbing, similar to the first set, minimum of a moderate hill with heavy spurts mixed in.  Play around with cadence and seated/standing.  End heavy.

Rock That Body - Black Eyed Peas - 4:29
Have them take off some of the resistance, keeping the hill around moderate and it's time for jumps.  These jumps are in honor of the 400 steps down/up.  Go right to the end of the song, possibly changing from 6 counts to 4 at the end.  Work those legs!

Faena - Gipsy Kings - 3:27
Cooldown!!


This ride got some good reviews, lots of climbing and really trusting the class to work.  Hope it's helpful!

Happy Spinning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JESSICA,
AWESOME PLAYLIST! I WAS ON YOUR BLOG LAST NIGHT AND THOUGHT THIS IS COOL, I LIKE HER STYLE, WE ARE SIMILAR. I HAVE BEEN TEACHING UP TO 7 CLASSES A WEEK AND JUST GOT BURNT ON MAKING PLAYLISTS, SO YOU ARE A GODSEND AND I LOVEEEE YOUR NEWEST PLAY LIST :-)
THANKYOU!!!

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for the comment!
I'm so glad you've found my blog interesting and useful.
I've done the 7 classes a week thing and it is HARD, especially coming up with new music and such, so I'm glad i'm able to help.
Please stop by again and I'd love to hear any song recommendations you might have for me.
Thanks again!
Jessica