Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spinning for Beginners

When I first started teaching, I really wanted to teach a beginner class.  I felt that the gyms should offer an "intro to spinning" class once a month, because as I know better than anyone, Spinning classes look intimidating.

I took my first spin class about 5 or 6 years ago and I was scared.  At that point my mother had been spinning for years and she encouraged me to try it.  So I agreed that I'd try it, but first, I needed to prepare.  I put myself on a training regimen where I'd ride the stationary bike every day, eventually working up to 45 minutes.  Once I got there I told myself I was ready for a spin class.

The day before my first class I called in and reserved a space in the 6:30 class.  Phew.  The next day, on my way to that class, I realized that I hadn't specified AM or PM and sure enough found out I was on the AM list.  Uh oh!  I had a mini freak out thinking that my well laid out plans of starting would be thrown off.  The staff assured me there was room, I hoped they were right.  I showed up at least 15 minutes early so that I'd have plenty of time to talk with the instructor and get the lay of the land.   The class was a success and the rest is so-called history.

The point of my story is that I was freaked out by Spin.  I had been a regular at the gym for years but Spinning intimidated me.

This morning I got a call from the Group Exercise Manager at one of my clubs asking me if I'd like to teach a beginner class next week.  Of course I said YES!!!

So now I'm off to plan out a nice introductory ride.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Were you scared your first time?










No comments: