Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

I Heart Sugar (even though I know I shouldn't)

My biggest food weakness is SUGAR.  I'm a complete sucker for baked goods, if it has flour, butter and sugar, chances are I'm going to like it.
I had some health issues a few years ago that caused me to remove sugar from my diet, which I did.  But as the years went on the sugar crept back in.  I'd like to give it up again but until I can get the motivation to call it quits I continue to consume it, but try to do so in  moderation.
Just got a new Nutrition Action Healthletter in the mail today and the cover story is Sugar Overload.
Here are some interesting facts from the article.
A typical woman should have no more than 6.5 tsp of sugar a day.  A typical man should get no more than 9.5 tsp.  Here are some items and the added sugar they contain.  I picked the ones that surprised me.

Silk Chocolate Soy Milk - 5 tsp
Medium DQ Heath Blizzard - 27 tsp
Coca-Cola (12oz can) - 10 tsp
Propel (lemon)  (24oz) - 1.5tsp
Kashi Go Lean Crunch Original (1 cup) - 3.5 tsp
Pepperidge Farm Milano (3 cookies) - 3 tsp

Not really anything we don't know but still interesting to see.  Sugar is usually measured in nutrition facts in grams.  One teaspoon is equal to 4 grams.  Grams don't really register with me, but a teaspoon is something I can clearly imagine. 

I can't even fathom pouring 27 tsp of sugar in to my mouth, can you?

No comments: