Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I don't get it

Yesterday at work was NUTS, and as a result I couldn't find a spare moment to post.  But I'm here now.


Source
I did a search for low-energy spin and this came up.
So pretty, I just couldn't resist!
 I subbed a class last night.  I subbed the same class the week before.  I did that intentionally, to give the members a bit of consistency.  Thing was, aside from two of my friends, there were no repeat riders.  I could take this personally, but I'm not, because honestly, I don't think that was the case.  I think it's a bit more indicative of how weird this particular gym is.

I get NO sense of community at this gym.  Having taken spin for years before teaching it, I saw how friendships and camaraderie develop in spin classes.  In some classes, pre-class chatter is almost annoying because everyone wants to talk to and say hello to everyone else.  Not at this gym.  I honestly wonder if people even talk here.

I figured word of mouth would help me get the class going, and while that's still possible, I'm just not sure that anyone at this gym has other gym-friends.  I've been teaching my class at this gym since June, so that's about 4 months and not much has changed.  The only constant is how inconsistent the class attendance is.  Of course we'll see what happens now that the weather has cooled down, but it still strikes me as odd.

And class energy?  Not here.  Yes, I've taught a few classes where I could feel the energy of the class, but it's rare. 

While it may sound like I'm complaining, that's not my goal.  I'm just puzzled by this.

Have you (as an instructor or a member) seen this?  What is your gym like?  What is your personal gym-style?

No comments: