Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Let's Take the Stairs!



Looking for a new cardio machine or just want to mix up your existing routine?

I'd recommend this one.
The literal, stair master.

This guy has been around for ages.  I remember it at a gym I belonged to about 9 years ago.  Don't think I ever used it, but I do remember seeing it there.

Fast forward about 8 years and I had my first run in.

This machine kicks serious ass! (pardon the language)

You can't cheat yourself on this one because if you do, you'll likely fall off, creating quite a scene at the gym.  You also need to be focused on what you're doing because if you step too far in your toes get squished.  I speak from experience.

I can do about 20 minutes.  Within the first five i'm sweating and out of breath and doubtful about whether or not I can finish my 20.  But I do.  My heart rate is way up, my breathing is labored and boy am I sweating.  This to me my friends, is the mark of a tough workout.

While looking for an image to use I came across a few blogs who talked about this equipment.  Some called it the stairway to hell, others the escalator to hell.  You get the idea.

But aside from the negative "press" it's a great workout and I encourage you to give it a try.  Obviously start slow and then build up.  I usually start around level 7 (out of 20) and then raise it as I go, or not.

Let me know your thoughts on this one.