Here are some tips for making better decisions when eating out at Mexican restaurants (where dishes can have tons of calories)
- Skip the cheese (often times these dishes are so flavorful that you wouldn't even taste the cheese)
- Get black beans instead of refried beans
- Limit your use of sour cream and stick with a pico de gallo or salsa
- Try to resist the chips and salsa, if need be, have a few and then ask them to take them away, or move them away from you at the table
- Ask for fajitas to be cooked with less oil or no butter (i sometimes skip the tortillas and just eat the protein and veggies)
- You might want to try subbing a salad for the rice
- If you get a taco salad, avoid the deep fried "bowl"
The principles applied here are really basic calorie cutting concepts and can be applied in most situations.