Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2010

Yummy Pasta Salad Recipe



Happy gray Monday.  Since the weekend was absolutley gorgeous I guess I can't really complain.  Had a nice weekend, celebrated my sister's bday Saturday evening in NYC then spent Sunday with my parents.  We had a nice BBQ for dinner last night and I made the pasta salad below.  My parents had made it once before and I thought it would great for the warmer weather, so this time I made it.

I'm going to write up the recipe in it's original form, although I made some modifications (some intentional, one unintentional).  It was so delicious that we ate the ENTIRE thing.  I can't wait to make it again.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients
1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4 inch diced
1 red bell pepper, 1 inch diced
1 yellow bell pepper, 1 inch diced
1 red onion, peeled and 1 inch diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 lb orzo pasta or rice-shaped pasta
For the dressing
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
To assemble
4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup pignolis, toasted (pine nuts)
3/4 lb good feta, 1/2 inch diced (not crumbled)
15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne


Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan.
Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.
Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender.
Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.
For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables.
Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil.
Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.


My modifications....
I forgot the garlic (which is ok with me bc I can't really eat garlic).  We subbed two red peppers instead of one red and one yellow.  I also added a small zucchini.
I did not use the scallions, feta, or basil.  I did add toasted pine nuts which was a nice addition.
To bring the temperature down a bit I stuck the bowl in the fridge for a bit before serving.
I definitely recommend making this recipe, delish!!!  Enjoy your Monday.


No comments: