Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

I ♥ Sweet Potatoes
















Yay for sweet potatoes!

I make sweet potatoes on average about once a week.  Nutritionally speaking, here's how they stack up.

Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A (+262% of the daily value).  They are also a very good source of Vitamin C (28.4%) and manganese (26%).  In addition, they are also a good source of copper (13%), dietary fiber (12.6%), Vitamin B6 (12.5%), potassium (8.7%), and iron (8.1%).

I typically cook them in the same manner, slightly varing the seasonings depending on my mood.

For the potatoes above, I used four medium sized potatoes, sprayed my pan with cooking spray, arranged the sweet potatoes and then drizzled a small amount of olive oil over them.  I then sprinkled cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and a little salt over them.  I then baked them at 350 for about 40 minutes, stirring them half way.  They should start to brown a bit.

In the past i've seasoned them with brown sugar, red pepper flakes, honey, or black pepper, depending on what i'm craving.  I try to keep the olive oil under 1 tbs though.

Give them a try, you won't regret it!


No comments: